photo caption: Blackbird Studio’s C-24 serial number 001
Nashville’s Blackbird Studio has a mic locker that would make an engineer drool. They have the original AKG C-24 mic, the stereo version of the coveted C-12. AKG developed the C-12 condenser microphone in 1953 based on a dual backplate/dual-membrane idea patented by Kalusche and Spardock in 1951. The modiï¬ed version of this idea became the basis for the CK-12 capsule. AKG was the ï¬rst to manufacture a split electrode microphone. The original capsule membrane was 10-micron-thick PVC, which was later changed to 9-micron-thick Mylar. The ampliï¬er design was based on the 6072 tube, and the C-24 stereo edition of the mic with two CK-12 capsules utilized this dual triode to its full extent. The C-12, like the M 49, had a remotely controlled pattern selection from omni to bi-directional via the selector switch located in a box between the microphone and the power supply. The C-12 and C-24 remained in production until 1963.